Never underestimate the power of one wheel drive!

Images

Many of the images I add to this blog are clickable for a better resolution. Give it a go!

Friday 9 October 2009

Someone needs help

For a number of years now, I have been on the register of potential donors run by
The Anthony Nolan Trust

The trust was born out of the Anthony Nolan Register which was set up in 1974 by the family of Anthony Nolan, a young lad who was in need of a bone marrow transplant in his fight against an immunological disease. Sadly Anthony never found his donor. He passed away in 1979. Demonstrating great strength of character however, his families fight went on so that other people could be helped.

My involvement came as a result of a local appeal due to a child from my area needing a donor. The trust set up a registration day at the local sports centre. Potential donors attended and a small blood sample was taken for typing and matching. I was then placed on the register of donors. 4 times since then I have been contacted as a possible candidate. This involves further tests for more detailed tissue typing and matching. Unfortunately I was not a close enough match on those occasions.

Yesterday I received a letter from the Trust. I am back in line as a potential match. Apparently I have a 25% chance of being a donor this time. Someone out there needs help. Start thinking positive thoughts folks. With your help, I could end up undergoing minor surgery to donate marrow.

For those of you in the UK, the Trust is always looking for new members of the register. Visit their site and find out how you can help.

If you are from outside the UK, donor registers work internationally. There may well be a register for your Country. Do some digging and see if you can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment