Never underestimate the power of one wheel drive!

Images

Many of the images I add to this blog are clickable for a better resolution. Give it a go!

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Cracking ride this morning Grommit!

This mornings commute encapsulated just about everything I love about riding a bike.

When I dragged my tail out of bed at 5:30 this morning I took a peek out the window to see what was going on with the world (I always do this so that I am steeled for whatever surprises Mother Nature may throw at me). To my surprise I saw that the ground was wet- overnight rain. Wahey! The lawn might survive a few days more yet thought I. Having completed the recce it was time for prep so off I went to the bathroom to do what us rider folk need to do first thing in the morning (fear not Dear Readers- no graphic descriptions here). It was then time to head downstairs to make my lunch, make a cup of pre ride tea, feed the cats, eat breakfast and get ready for the ride. Not necessarily in that order- apart from the last bit. I absolutely refuse to wear a helmet whilst feeding the cats or making lunch (though leather gauntlets might be a good idea for feeding the cats).

Once it was time to leave the house I decided that as it wasn't raining I wouldn't do the wet weather gear. My route this morning was via Winter Hill which involves a good early climb out of Marlow and is a route I love. From the top of Winter Hill it was a descent through rural roads into Cookham where I turned off towards and subsequently through Maidenhead. Whilst riding through Maidenhead it started to rain. How did I feel about that? Do you know what? I couldn't have given a hoot. Rain at this time of year is something I thoroughly enjoy riding through- waterproofs or not. In fact, I probably had a few folk heading for cover because I found myself singing as I rode. Not just to myself though. At times I was belting it out at the top of my lungs- quite a horrible prospect if you have ever heard me sing. The playlist included "Sunshine on a rainy day", "Starlight" (Muse), "Things can only get better" D-Ream) etc.

The 'First rain for a long time' smell was very strong and very pleasant.

A cracking 10.39 mile bimble at an average of just over 16mph.

Whats not to love about this cycling lark eh?

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I sing when I pedal too, not too loudly though...

    ReplyDelete