Never underestimate the power of one wheel drive!

Images

Many of the images I add to this blog are clickable for a better resolution. Give it a go!

Sunday 18 November 2012

The start of a beautiful relationship

I took Raffa out for his first shakedown this afternoon.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Cannondale R800 and will continue to enjoy riding him but, the difference I noticed riding my new Wilier today was unbelieveable.

Simple things like the stopping power of the brakes! I don't know yet what it is that makes the brakes on Raffa so effective but I came close on  ore than one occasion to doing a front wheel bunny hop when grabbing a handful of front.

The stiffness of the frame around the bottom bracket was very noticeable too.

I think the biggest difference however was the wheels. Raffa is fitted with Fulcrum Racing 5's which are a revelation in comparison to the Gipiemme Grecal Parade wheels fitted to my 'Dale. So much stiffer! The anount of wheel rub I suffer when climbing out of the saddle on the 'Dale has to be experienced to be believed. They look the Mutts Nuts but, having 16 spokes front AND rear makes them a bit too flexible in my experience.

It will take a little while to get used to the slight differences in riding position between the Cannondale and Wilier but I think we will have a long and meaningful relationship.

1 comment:

  1. I am a great fan of Fulcrum wheels (I'm currently running Racing Zeros on my best bike) so I know what you mean by a "revelation in comparison".
    Nice to hear that you are enjoying the new bike so much....!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete